The City of Edmonton Encroachment Agreement: Everything You Need to Know

If you`re a homeowner in the City of Edmonton, you may have heard of an encroachment agreement. But what exactly is it, and why do you need one?

An encroachment agreement is a legal document that allows you to use a portion of City-owned land that is adjacent to your property. This could include a portion of a sidewalk or boulevard, for example. It is important to note that while you are allowed to use this land, it remains the property of the City.

Applying for an Encroachment Agreement

To apply for an encroachment agreement, you will need to fill out an application and submit it to the City. The application will ask for details about the exact location of the encroachment, the proposed use of the land, and any existing structures or landscaping that may be affected.

Once the City receives your application, they will review it and determine whether or not to grant the encroachment. This process can take several weeks or even months, so it`s important to plan ahead if you need the encroachment for a specific project or renovation.

Why Do You Need an Encroachment Agreement?

If you are using City-owned land without an encroachment agreement, you could be subject to legal action. The City has the right to remove any encroachments that are not authorized, and you could be liable for any damages or expenses incurred.

Additionally, having an encroachment agreement in place can protect you from liability if someone is injured on the portion of land that you are using. In the event of a lawsuit, the City would be the primary defendant, not you as the homeowner.

What Are the Costs?

There are fees associated with obtaining an encroachment agreement, including an application fee and an annual fee for the duration of the agreement. The fees vary depending on the size and location of the encroachment, so it`s best to check with the City for exact costs.

It`s important to note that these fees are in addition to any costs associated with construction or maintenance on the encroached land.

Final Thoughts

If you are considering using a portion of City-owned land adjacent to your property, it`s important to apply for an encroachment agreement to ensure that you are using the land legally and are protected from liability. While there are fees associated with the agreement, it`s a small cost compared to potential legal expenses and damages.

Remember to plan ahead and submit your application well in advance of any construction or renovation projects to avoid delays. With the right paperwork in place, you can enjoy the benefits of using City-owned land while maintaining a good relationship with your municipality.